9.06.2009

Sunsets










Why do sunsets always give us such a good feeling?

As a photographer, it's a great time of day. The light is at its softest, shadows are darker and more dramatic and everyone loves a sunset photo, right? It can be a bit tricky though, the light from the sun will throw off the settings on your camera so sometimes all you see is the light from the setting sun and the details from other parts of the scene can be lost.

I've noticed that most new quick shoot cameras (those small one's that can fit in a shirt pocket or your small purse) have a sunset setting which will help with this issue. Or if you have a camera like mine that let's you configure your settings manually, you can play with the aperture and shutter to try and get different effects.

The pictures I'm including here are from the end of my day yesterday. There is a state park near me called Deception Pass Park. A large metal trestle bridge is the main focal point in this area, along with the amazing vistas. I drove through the park down to the beach area to get a shot from the shore. Fisherman (and one woman) were trying their best to catch the salmon that live in these waters. Though while I was there no one got lucky. What impressed me about this waterway is how fast the current runs, the water almost looks like a whirlpool in spots where current criss crosses itself. I wasn't brave enough to put my feet in at that point but I heard one small boy exclaim "that's cold!". I took his word for it.

1 comment: