4.23.2009

West Coast Here I Come

Westward ho! This coming week I need to travel to San Diego, CA for business and while I'm on the left coast, I thought I would take an extra day at the end of it. My plan is to visit Joshua Tree National Park. Let me back up a second and say I LOVE our National Parks and have a personal goal to visit as many in my lifetime as possible - a few might get more than one visit. Yosemite being one of them but I'll get to that in a second.

Joshua Tree sits about 2.5 hours north east of San Diego so it is a bit of a ride from where I'll be but it will be worth it. The weather at this time of the year is warm but not unbearable and I should be able to still see examples of the Spring cactus wildflowers that bloom during this time of the year. There is also an abundance of birds at this time, per the park website. Finally, what really has me excited is the ability to do some stargazing and taking the opportunity to try some night sky photography. Living in the suburbs and the natural light pollution that goes with it, seeing a dark night sky is something I don't get to enjoy. I'm hoping I'll be able to truly see the Milky Way and constellations that I only know from photos other people have taken.
Photos to come after the trip.
Now a quick detour back to Yosemite. In February of 2007 I went to Yosemite as part of a photography vacation. It was about 4 days in the park and was initially supposed to be a Winter shoot so there would be snow. But that Winter the park hadn't really gotten much snow at the lower elevations. It was cold but not snowy. I have to say though, snow or no snow - it didn't matter. My quick memories that linger from the trip is first the vastness of Yosemite. The coyotes that you hear when the sun goes down. Getting lost and found on a hike (by myself!) and not seeing another person for almost 3 hours! The crystal clear water.
Here are just a few photos from the trip.
Bottom line - visit a National Park if you get the chance. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment